Thursday, April 02, 2009

No April Fool's jokes this year.

Yesterday was the first April Fool's day I didn't play a joke on my husband. Maybe its because he's been a bit stressed at work like many people these days. Maybe its because I've been so busy making jewelry and getting ready for the market I'm participating in this Saturday. Maybe its because I haven't finished our taxes and I'm stressed about time running out. Maybe its because I had a lot of updating to do on my website. Maybe its because I was looking for my to do list and haven't found it. Maybe because I was anticipating "Lost" coming on that evening and was wondering what cool thing we'd discover. Or maybe it was because I couldn't think of anything really good this year.

I believe it was the first year of our marriage, I played a good one. When we married, I had a dog and cat, both fixed, of course. But my cat had the low hanging extra baggage that would shake as she walked. So while husband was showering, I told him that when Cookie (top right picture is her several months before she died at 18) escaped from the house, that she got pregnant. She was an indoor cat and it ticked me off that husband allowed her to escape. He said he thought she was fixed. And I said, well the vet said, sometimes it doesn't "take". I told him how excited I was to have kittens and started wondering who we could find to adopt some, but I wanted to keep one. Oh, trust me, it went on and on with my exurberance. I could sense his unhappiness and stress level rising over having kittens. For goodness sake, we didn't have children yet, what's the deal about another kitten!?

When I finally confessed and let him off the hook, he was relieved and said all he could think about was more vet bills and mouths to feed. I looked at him blankly and said, I'm not pregnant, its the cat, with a few kittens. Jeez, louise! He did like it though, said it was very creative .

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I miss Cookie! She was such a sweet cat (when she wanted to be) and lived to a ripe old age for sure.

Love the joke you played on him and that you kept it going all day! Way to go daughter!
Mom

MoodyMommy said...

Ohhh, i am so happy I am not the only one!!

BTW, I have yet to even start our taxes!!! Oh, My!!

Missy said...

OMG, I so need to do my business taxes, but as I have never done them before, I am terrified and putting them off.

Dee-Zigns Handcrafted Jewelry said...

Moodymommy & Missy - if it makes you feel any better, I'm still not finished and its now April 7th.

Dee-Zigns Handcrafted Jewelry said...

I miss Cookie too, Mom. Especially at night when she cuddled.

Hit 40 said...

That's my cat! Give him back!!! I skipped the April Fool's stuff - it just escalates too much for me.

Dee-Zigns Handcrafted Jewelry said...

Hit40 - Shocking how much your cat looks like mine when Cookie was younger!