Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You want to cut your hair?

You can imagine my shock when my 12 year old daughter asked for an appointment to get her haircut. Her hair was incredibly long and beautiful and she had been adamant over the years of only having a 1/2 inch cut at the time. She was so darn attached to her very long hair. Getting her to the hair salon was another issue, the whining (Erika), the crying (Erika), the frustration (me!). Pick your battles, they say. Yeah right!

She said she wanted to get about 3 inches cut, so while sitting in the chair, she told our hair stylist she wanted a lot cut off. As I watched Erika showing her how much, I could hardly believe it was more than 3 or 4 inches! I asked if it was enough to send in to Lots of Love, a non profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children. As Debbie, our hair stylist, ran to get a measuring tape, I watched Erika's smile spreading across her sweet face. Yes, there was 8 inches! Let's do it.


Erika was thrilled to get a new look and to donate her hair to help people dealing with cancer and losing their hair.

We ended up sending her "locks" to Pantene Beautiful Lengths beause when we looked up the Locks for Love website and discovered their requirements of 10 inches. But doing a search, we found Patene's website and relieved to discover their requirements were only 8 inches.


I encourage everyone with daughters to always talk about these programs, as its not that difficult, and when your child is ready to do this, they feel so good about themselves!


2 comments:

Sandy said...

Yay! Your daughter did a very lovely thing and she should be proud. ^_^

Though I'm glad you guys went with Pantene's Beautiful Lengths instead of Locks of Love - LoL seems a bit sketchy, from what I understand from people who have donated.

Unknown said...

Yea, my beautiful granddaughter did a beautiful thing... and she's even more beautiful with shoulder length hair!!